Michael L. Madigan
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2001
- M.S., Bioengineering, Texas A&M University, 1996
- B.S., Bioengineering, Texas A&M University, 1994
- Professor, Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2017 – Present
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 2017 – Present
- Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2014 – 2017
- Associate Editor, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 2013 – 2017
- Professor, Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics, Virginia Tech, 2013 – 2014
- Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 2012 – 2016
- Secretary and Membership Chair, American Society of Biomechanics, 2009 – 2012
- Associate Professor, Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics, Virginia Tech, 2007 – 2013
- Affiliate member, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2002 – 2014
- Affiliate member, Center for Gerontology, Virginia Tech, 2001 – 2014
- Core member, Virginia Tech-Wake Forest School of Biomedical Engineering and Sciences, 2001 – 2014
- Assistant Professor, Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics, Virginia Tech, 2001 – 2007
ISE 5614: Human Physical Capabilities
Please click a title in brown to view the abstract.
- Arena, S.L., Garman, C.R., Nussbaum, M.A., Madigan, M.L. Required friction during overground walking is lower among obese versus non-obese older men, but does not differ with obesity among women. Applied Ergonomics (2017) 62: 77-82.
- Byju, A.G., Nussbaum, M.A., Madigan, M.L. Alternative measures of toe trajectory more accurately predict the probability of tripping than minimum toe clearance. Journal of Biomechanics (2016) 49(16): 4016-4021.
- Garman, C.R., Nussbaum, M.A., Franck, C.T., Madigan, M.L. A pilot study exploring obesity-related differences in fall rate and kinematic response resulting from a laboratory-induced trip. IIE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors (2016) 4(4): 211-221.
- Allin, L.J., Wu, X., Nussbaum, M.A., Madigan, M.L. Falls resulting from a laboratory-induced slip occur at a higher rate among individuals who are obese. Journal of Biomechanics (2016) 49: 678-683.
- Madigan, M.L., Rosenblatt, N.J., Grabiner, M.D. Obesity as a Factor Contributing to Falls by Older Adults. Current Obesity Reports, 2014, 3, 348-354.
- American Society of Biomechanics (2000)
- American College of Sports Medicine (2006)
- International Society for Posture and Gait Research (2016)
- Texas A&M University, Biomedical Engineering, Faculty Commitment to Students Award, 2017
- Virginia Tech College of Engineering Certificate of Teaching Excellence 2014
- Kevin P. Granata Faculty Fellow, 2013-2014
- Virginia Tech, Engineering Science and Mechanics Liviu Librescu Faculty Prize, 2011 Virginia Tech College of Engineering Faculty Fellow, 2012-2014
- Virginia Tech College of Engineering Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2006
- Virginia Tech Center for Gerontology Faculty Affiliate Research Award, 2005
- Finalist for International Society of Biomechanics - Clinical Biomechanics Award, 2005
- (540) 231-3543
519B Whittemore Hall
1185 Perry Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061