Kimberly P. Ellis
Main Area: Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Logistics Systems Analysis and Design
- Production Planning and Process Planning
- Manufacturing Systems Analysis and Design
- Applied Operations Research
- Ph.D., Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Industrial Engineering, University of Tennessee
- B.S., Industrial Engineering, University of Tennessee
- Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
- Site Director, Center for Excellence in Logistics and Distribution (CELDi)
- Associate Director, Center for High Performance Manufacturing (CHPM)
- ISE 4204: Production Planning and Inventory Control
- ISE 5004: Production Systems Analysis
- ENGR 5004: Systems Engineering Process
Please click a title in brown to view the abstract.
- Loralyn DeWitt, Kimberly Ellis, Dale Masel, Leily Farrokhvar, Michael Ogle, and Eileen Van Aken, “A Program to Engage College Students in the Material Handling and Logistics Industry,” International Journal of Engineering Education, accepted with revisions, March 2015.
- Y. Feng, K. P. Ellis, C. Crawford, “Trailer Fleet Planning for Industrial Gas Distribution,” IIE Transactions on Scheduling and Logistics, Vol. 46, No. 12, pp. 1329-1342, 2014.
- Y. H. Lin, R. D. Meller, K. P. Ellis, L. Thomas, and B. Lombardi, “A Decomposition-Based Approach for the Selection of Standardized Modular Containers,” International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 52, No. 15, pp. 4660-4672, 2014.
- K. P. Ellis, H. D. Sherali, L. Saunders, S. Shao, and C. Crawford, “Bulk Tank Allocation to Improve Distribution Planning for the Industrial Gas Industry,” IIE Transactions on Scheduling and Logistics, Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 557-566, 2014. Article received Scheduling and Logistics Best Application Paper, June 2015.
- J. Smith, K. P. Ellis, Rene De Koster, S. Lavender, B. Montreuil, and M.K. Ogle, Editors, Progress in Material Handling Research: 2014, Material Handling Industry Association, Charlotte, NC, 2014.
- College Industry Council on Material Handling Education (CICMHE)
- Past-President, 2014 - Present
- President, 2012 - 13
- Vice-President, 2010 -11
- Chair of Events Committee, 2007 - 2009
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), Member
- Institute for Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS), Member
- Alpha Pi Mu Honor Society, Faculty Advisor
- Dean’s Award for Service Excellence, 2011-12
- Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence, 2009-10
- Sporn Award for Teaching Engineering Subjects, Fall 2005
- Ralph R. Teetor Award for Young Educators, Society of Automotive Engineers, Spring 2002
Scholar of the Week: Kimberly Ellis (September 2017)
Alpha Pi Mu received another National Outstanding Chapter Award (September 2016)
Alpha Pi Mu received National Outstanding Chapter award (September 2015)
Three ISE professors and three students won IIE Awards (August 2015)
109 Durham Hall (MC 0118)
1145 Perry Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061