Dr. Hyungil Kim
- Human Factors and Ergonomics in Augmented Reality
- Human depth/color perception, visual attention, situation awareness, workload and task performance while interacting with AR applications
- Methods for the analysis, design, prototyping, and evaluation of augmented reality interfaces for vehicle drivers with an emphasis on human-environment interaction
- Ph.D. in Industrial & Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2017
- M.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 2000
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 1998
- Research Scientist, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2018 - present
- Research Intern, Honda Research Institute USA, Mountain View, CA, 2014 - 2015
- Engineering Group Manager, General Motors, Korea, 2006 - 2012
- Black Belt in Design for Six Sigma, General Motors, 2009
- Senior Researcher, LG Electronics Productivity Research Institute, Korea, 2001 - 2006
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Center for Human Computer Interaction at Virginia Tech
- Kim, H., Gabbard, J. L., Miranda Anon, A., & Misu, T. (2017). Driver Behavior and Performance with Augmented Reality Pedestrian Collision Warning. An Outdoor User Study. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Accepted.
- Merenda, C., Kim, H., Gabbard, J. L., Leong, S., Large, D. R., & Burnett, G. (2017). Did You See Me? Assessing Perceptual vs. Real Driving Gains Across Multi-Modal Pedestrian Alert Systems. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications (pp. 40-49). ACM. Honorable Mention
- Kim, H., Isleib, J.D., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Virtual Shadow: Making Cross Traffic Dynamics Visible through Augmented Reality Head Up Display. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 2093-2097). SAGE Publications. Dieter W. Jahns Student Practitioner Award.
- Rane, P., Kim, H., Marcano, J.L., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Virtual Road Signs: Augmented Reality Driving Aid for Novice Drivers. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 1750-1754). SAGE Publications.
- Kim, H., Isleib, J. D., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Casting shadows: Ecological interface design for augmented reality pedestrian collision warning. In 2016 IEEE Virtual Reality (VR) (pp. 205-206). IEEE.
- Kim, H., Miranda Anon, A., Misu, T., Li, N., Tawari, A., & Fujimura, K. (2016). Look at Me: Augmented Reality Pedestrian Warning System Using an In-Vehicle Volumetric Head Up Display. In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (pp. 294-298). ACM.
- Gabbard, J. L., Fitch, G. M., & Kim, H. (2014). Behind the glass: driver challenges and opportunities for AR automotive applications. Proceedings of the IEEE, 102(2), 124-136.
- Kim, H., Wu, X., Gabbard, J. L., & Polys, N. F. (2013, October). Exploring head-up augmented reality interfaces for crash warning systems. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications (pp. 224-227). ACM.
- Kwon, Y., Kim, K. H., Son, C. K., & Kim, H. (2012). Improvement of Passenger Airbag Based on the Injury Assessment of the 5th Percentile Female Dummy. Transactions of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 20(5), 1-7.
- Kim, Y. B., Kim, H. J., Han, J. N., Kim, H., & Chae, S. W. (2012). The Optimization of Passenger Seat Belt Design for Female Passenger. Transactions of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 20(4), 10-15.
- 2017, Honorable Mention, ACM AutomotiveUI, Association for Computing Machinery
- 2017, 3rd Place, Paul E. Torgersen Graduate Student Research Excellence Award, Virginia Tech
- 2016, Dieter W. Jahns Student Practitioner Award, Foundation for Professional Ergonomics
- 2016, The White Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Virginia Tech
- 2016, Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who Publications
- 2014-2015, UPS Fellowship, United Parcel Service
- 2014, KSEA-KUSCO Scholarship, Korea-US Science Cooperation
- 2013, The President of Korean Student Association, Virginia Tech
- 2010, Best Engineer, GM Korea Vehicle Engineering Center
- 545 Whittemore Hall