Dr. Joseph L. Gabbard
- Graduate Certificate in Human-Computer Interaction, Virginia Tech, 2015
- M.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 2000
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 1998
- Human Factors Engineering and Ergonomics
- Automotive user experience (UX) research including perception, cognition and attention challenges of augmented reality (AR) heads-up displays (HUD) for driver situation awareness and safety
Research Intern, Honda Research Institute USA, Mountain View, CA, 2014 - 2015
Engineering Group Manager, General Motors, Korea, 2006 - 2012
Black Belt in Design for Six Sigma, General Motors, 2009
Senior Researcher, LG Electronics Productivity Research Institute, Korea, 2001 - 2006
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Center for HCI at Virginia Tech
- Kim, H., Isleib, J.D., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Virtual Shadow: Making Cross Traffic Dynamics Visible through Augmented Reality Head Up Display. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 2093-2097). SAGE Publications. Dieter W. Jahns Student Practitioner Award.
- Rane, P., Kim, H., Marcano, J.L., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Virtual Road Signs: Augmented Reality Driving Aid for Novice Drivers. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting (Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 1750-1754). SAGE Publications.
- Kim, H., Isleib, J. D., & Gabbard, J. L. (2016). Casting shadows: Ecological interface design for augmented reality pedestrian collision warning. In 2016 IEEE Virtual Reality (VR) (pp. 205-206). IEEE.
- Kim, H., Miranda Anon, A., Misu, T., Li, N., Tawari, A., & Fujimura, K. (2016). Look at Me: Augmented Reality Pedestrian Warning System Using an In-Vehicle Volumetric Head Up Display. In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (pp. 294-298). ACM.
- Gabbard, J. L., Fitch, G. M., & Kim, H. (2014). Behind the glass: driver challenges and opportunities for AR automotive applications. Proceedings of the IEEE, 102(2), 124-136.
- Kim, H., Wu, X., Gabbard, J. L., & Polys, N. F. (2013, October). Exploring head-up augmented reality interfaces for crash warning systems. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications (pp. 224-227). ACM.
- Kwon, Y., Kim, K. H., Son, C. K., & Kim, H. (2012). Improvement of Passenger Airbag Based on the Injury Assessment of the 5th Percentile Female Dummy. Transactions of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 20(5), 1-7.
- Kim, Y. B., Kim, H. J., Han, J. N., Kim, H., & Chae, S. W. (2012). The Optimization of Passenger Seat Belt Design for Female Passenger. Transactions of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 20(4), 10-15.
- Dieter W. Jahns Student Practitioner Award (2016), Foundation for Professional Ergonomics
- The White Graduate Teaching Assistant Award (2016), Virginia Tech
- Who's Who in America (2016), Marquis Who's Who Publications
- UPS Fellowship (2014-2015), United Parcel Service
- KSEA-KUSCO Scholarship (2014), Korea-American Scientists and Engineers Association
- Hackers Family Scholarship (2012), Hackers Academia
- Best Engineer (2010), GM Korea
- 519M Whittemore Hall