Robert H. Sturges
Main Area: Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Design theory and methodology
- Product and process design
- Manufacturing and assembly processes
- Flexible manufacturing systems
Sixteen US Patents. Developed a quantification of machine and human dexterity (1985), invented spatial remote center compliance device (1992), demonstrated feasibility of robot-assisted fiber-composite manufacture (2002), showed that performance is predictable from behavior in a material-handling environment (2004), modeled manufacturing systems with modern control theory (2009), invented rapid removal of hard-to-machine materials (2014).
- Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University, 1985
- B.S.-M.S., MIT, 1969
- Manufacturing Processes (theory plus laboratory)
- Industrial Automation
Please click a title to view the abstract.
- Fong, N.H., & Sturges, R.H. (2009) "Complex Plane Design Strategy for a Responsive Lean Manufacturing System”, International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology (IJCAT) Vol 34 No. 3.
- Daniel W. Steeneck , Timothy C. Krometis, & Robert H. Sturges (2012) “A Procedure for Using Ship Tow-tank Data to Simulate Ship Motion and Inclusion of Perturbations”, Computing Science and Technology International Journal (CSTIJ), Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 4-9, ISSN 2162-0660 (print), ISSN 2162-0687 (on-line).
- David B. Bateman, Igor A. Zamlinsky, & Robert H. Sturges (2012) “Controller and Platform Design for a Three Degree of Freedom Ship Motion Simulator”, Computing Science and Technology International Journal (CSTIJ), Vol. 2, No. 3, 33-38, ISSN 2162-0660 (print), ISSN 2162-0687 (on-line).
- Anderson, R.J., & Sturges, R.H. (2013)"System Behaviors and Measures: Logical and State Complexity in Naval Weapons Elevators". Complex Systems, Vol 22, No. 3. pp 247-309.
- Sturges, R.H. (2014) "Material Removal by Arc Ablation". Int’l Journ. of Engineering Science and Invention, ISSN: 2319-6734, Vol. 3, No. 6, pp 1-6.
- Anderson, R.J., & Sturges, R.H. (2014) "Static Measures of Complexity in Naval Weapons Elevator System, Alternative Logic, and Mobile Carriage Systems". Complex Systems, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp 149-176.
- Sturges, R.H. (January 2015) "Simple and Inexpensive Hobbing for the General Shop". Int’l Journ. of Engineering Inventions, ISSN: 2278-7461, e-ISSN: 2278-7461, p-ISSN: 2319-6491, Vol. 4, No. 8, pp: 14-22.
- Ferrandez, S.M., Harbison, T., Weber, T., Sturges, R.H., Rich, R.K. (2016) "Optimization of a Truck-drone in Tandem Delivery Network Using K-means and Genetic Algorithm," Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management (JIEM), Vol. 9, No. 2, pp.73-89. ISSN 2013-8423 (print), ISSN 2013-0953 (online).