Barbara M. Fraticelli
Barbara received her B.S. and M.S. degrees from Penn State under the direction of Dr. Tom M. Cavalier, and she earned her Ph.D. at Virginia Tech under the direction of Dr. Hanif D. Sherali. Since completing her graduate studies in 2001, Barbara has taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses for the Grado Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering at Virginia Tech. These courses range from introductory classes for sophomores to advanced optimization courses for Ph.D. students. Barbara has also created and led optimization short-courses for government and business employees, proofread technical writing material, created solution manuals for textbooks in the field of optimization, and served as a committee member for dozens of graduate students at Virginia Tech.
Applications of and solution techniques for optimization problems, including linear, integer, nonlinear, and stochastic programming problems.
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2001
- M.S. in Industrial Engineering & Operations Research, Penn State, 1997
- B.S. in Industrial Engineering, Penn State, 1995
- ISE 2004 Introduction to ISE
- ISE 2404 Deterministic Operations Research
- ISE 3414 Probabilistic Operations Research
- ISE 5405 Optimization I
- ISE 5406 Optimization II
- ISE 6404 Graph Theory & Network Flows
- ISE 6414 Integer Programming
- ISE 6415 Advanced Topics in Math Programming
- STAT 4105 Theoretical Statistics
- J.C. Smith, B.M.P Fraticelli, and C. Rainwater, 2006. A Bracket Assignment Problem for the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, International Transactions in Operational Research, 13(3), 253-271.
- H.D. Sherali, B.M.P. Fraticelli, and R.D. Meller, 2003. Enhanced Model Formulations for Optimal Facility Layout, Operations Research, 51(4), 629-644.
- H.D. Sherali and B.M.P. Fraticelli, 2002. A Modification of Benders’ Decomposition Algorithm for Discrete Subproblems: An Approach for Stochastic Programs with Integer Recourse, Journal of Global Optimization, 22(1-4), 319-342.
- H.D. Sherali and B.M.P. Fraticelli, 2002. Enhancing RLT Relaxations via a New Class of Semidefinite Cuts, Journal of Global Optimization, 22(1-4), 233-261.
- B. P. Fraticelli, T.M. Cavalier, and E.A. Lehtihet, 1999. Tool-Wear Effect Compensation Under Sequential Tolerance Control, International Journal of Production Research, 37(3), 639-651.
- VT ISE Outstanding Faculty Award, May 2016
- IIE Pritsker Doctoral Dissertation Award (1st Place), May 2002
- Student Commencement Speaker for the Virginia Tech Graduate School Ceremony, May 2001
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, August 1995 – July 1998
- Penn State College of Engineering Student Marshall (Graduating senior with the highest GPA), May 1995
- Penn State John W. Oswald Award for Academics, 1995
- Golden Key National Honor Society Outstanding Junior Initiate Scholarship, 1994
- National Merit Scholarship Finalist, 1991
- (540) 231-1839
225 Durham Hall
1145 Perry Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061