The ISE Department at Virginia Tech advances the discipline and imparts knowledge to students, peers and practitioners. In an environment that fosters leadership, achievement, and diversity, we:
- Prepare undergraduate and graduate students for life-long success and leadership in the profession, in industry, and in higher education;
- Conduct and disseminate research that advances knowledge and promotes the economic prosperity and well-being of Virginia, the nation, and the world; and
- Provide valuable services to industry, society, and the ISE profession.
It is our sustained vision that:
- Faculty effectively deliver a dynamic curriculum that is relevant to contemporary needs and instills intellectual curiosity and critical thinking;
- The Department is internationally recognized for leading research and scholarship that makes the world a better place;
- Faculty are instrumental in shaping the direction of the profession through leadership roles in the discipline;
- Faculty, staff, and students thrive in an environment built on noble core values;
- Students achieve excellence while they are at Virginia Tech, are sought after by the most respected organizations and universities around the world, and are successful leaders throughout their careers;
- The Department and our graduates collaborate to realize mutual benefits from a strong continuing relationship;
- Faculty, staff, and students want to join the Department because of our work environment, reputation, and leadership in the profession.
Please click a Core Value (below) for description.
We value quality and achievement in all aspects of our operations, from scholarship to teaching, from research to service, from student performance to support-staff functions. We focus our attention to ensure the highest quality of our work . We recognize, reward and promote quality and achievement in all aspects of our operation.
Our faculty, staff, and students exemplify the Virginia Tech motto Ut Prosim (that I may serve) by serving the University, the profession, and society through involvement and leadership roles in service activities.
We value open communication and collaborative decision-making by the faculty, staff and students of our department. We recognize that everyone has a point of view and should have the opportunity to voice opinions and ideas. We provide varied mechanisms for people to participate in decisions that affect them when at all possible. All ideas and suggestions offered are valued and considered for improving the Department.
We consistently consider what is best for the Department as a whole when making decisions and conducting our day-to-day work.
We uphold the highest ethical standards and integrity in all that we do.
We value collegial working relationships, where colleagues feel comfortable asking for professional support, knowing that there exists mutual respect and trust among colleagues, and friendly, empathetic work relationships.
We adhere to Virginia Tech's Principles of Community. We value diversity of ideas, opinions, and people. We strive to create an inclusive environment with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, which creates improved quality, innovation, and exchange of perspectives.
We encourage and promote improvement in all aspects of what we do, including Department processes, Department environment, scholarly achievement, professional development and lifelong learning.